Using Show Me to aid in classroom teaching

The iPad has an app that will record videos and upload them to an Internet site that anyone with a profile has access to.  The app is called ShowMe.  The app works similar to the technology used to create the Khan Academy videos and all work is done using the iPad.  I could use this in my classroom in many ways.  One use could be if I know a large portion of students is going to be gone for a day, I could record my lesson and upload it to the website.  This way, students could view the lesson on their own time and would not fall behind from missing the class.  The students would have access to this because the video is saved to an online blog-style profile.  As long as the student has a profile, they would have access to my video.  This would also be helpful to our after-school staff if they do not know how to help the students with their work.  The staff could view the video themselves and then offer one-on-one help once they understand the material.  I could also use this app for problem solving activities.  Dan Meyer’s format of videoing the situations students will be solving for could be applied in my classroom with this app.  I could take my own video of what we are solving for, upload it to the website and be able to show the video from any computer with an internet sight.  I could also use this app as a homework tool as well.  I could create a short lesson video and have the students view the video as their homework assignment.  We could then spend the entire lesson doing guided practice or an activity dealing with the material they viewed.  This would allow more time for the activity or for difficult problems related to the material.

Casey

2 thoughts on “Using Show Me to aid in classroom teaching

1. ShowMe sounds like a great app to have on an iPad. The thing that I like about it the most is that since it is on an iPad, you can create and record videos from anywhere. The idea of creating videos on this app and uploading them to a blog that can be viewed by both students and/or other teachers who may tutor after school and would appreciate a quick refresher on a certain lesson is great. In addition, it seems like it would be easy for students to create a video as a project with this app if they had iPads to use. So, in conclusion, this app seems to be very user-friendly for teacher as well as for students which is great!

2. I really liked your idea of recording your lessons for students who missed class. Many times these students want you to repeat what you did the day before so that they can get caught up, so having this video is a great way to same time!