Teaching with Tech!

In looking through many of the websites that were listed on Common Core Conversations I tended to enjoy the ones that related to real life applications of math.

The first site that I chose is 101 questions.  It is a website that has lesson plans for all different age levels K-12. The lesson plans are designed similar to the way Dan Meyer presents many of his lessons. Some of them are even from Dan Meyer. Basically each lesson starts with a picture or a short video. Then, rather than telling the student what they need to do, they are to write down questions that come to mind for them. Some of the lessons have a guide, others do not, and then it is up to the class to decide what comes next. One of the reasons I liked this website is that it had some more current ideas such as using Angry Birds to look at Quadratics. These lessons are aligned to the CCSSM, but more importantly they would be helpful in challenging students by using the Standards for Mathematical Practice.

The second site that I chose is Get the Math. This site looks at how professionals use math in their careers. Each career has a short vide where you get to meet a professional working in that career and hear how they use math. They also present a math challenge and these challenges can be worked out on the website. I like this site because it takes careers that students have interest in such as video games, music, and fashion design, and shows students how math is involved in those careers. This site does not align to any specific CCSSM, but it could. And again, I think the true benefit to this site is that it can assess many of the Standards for Mathematical Practice.